Thursday, October 2, 2008

Tainted Milk


I was driving home from work the other morning and heard the most outrageous NPR report ever. Apparently in China the dairies test the milk from smaller dairies to see if it meets their standards and then they'll buy it. The standards are protein content, vitamin content, etc... The standards are very high and almost impossible to meet, dairy farmers claimed. So for years dairies have been adulterating the milk so it would pass the inspection and so they would get paid more for it. Some of the additives discovered are formaldehyde (!), fat powder, antibiotics (!!), whey powder, etc... Unbelievable. Tens of thousands of kids have gotten sick from the milk. Surprisingly, ingesting formaldehyde would make one sick. I wonder if that ever happens in the States. Hurray for soy milk.

1 comment:

Lima Bean said...

I've been reading about this in the paper a lot lately. From what I've read, it is melamine that they keep finding and it is in baby formula powder. So far it hasn't happened in the US, and anyway it seems like anything tainted (like that dog/cat food issue a few years ago) comes from China. There are some very tainted practices going on over there. It gives me the heebie jeebies.