Monday, May 19, 2008

Sleepytime Success!

Wow. I can't believe what just happened. I wanted to really try the whole if-you-soothe-the-baby, -they-will-fall-asleep-on-their-own idea. I've been reading this book that my sister recommended and her kids go to sleep very easily, so I wanted to try it now that he's almost 4 months old.

So I tried it a few nights when T was working late and it worked pretty well. He woke up a few times and I'm not into the cry-it-out philosophy, so after about half an hour of me going in there, rubbing his tummy, singing, etc... he fell asleep. So I wanted to try it for naptime and in his own crib upstairs in the nursery. I figured it'll work better because I can do everything downstairs without worrying that it'll be too noisy. So we rocked in the rocker on the porch upstairs while I read him some books. Then I swaddled him up in the world's best swaddle blankets (thanks, Di!), gave him his paci, and sang him some songs. I looked down at him and he kept smiling at me, but he looked peaceful. So I laid him in his crib (he looks so tiny in it since I'm used to seeing him in the mini crib) and walked away. When I went back upstairs like 10 minutes later, he was sound asleep. And he must have just put himself right to sleep because I never heard a peep. Success! Maybe it's just a fluke, but I hope he's learning to fall asleep and hopefully it'll continue. We'll see tonight...
Man, look how small he used to be...

3 comments:

{irene} said...

check my blog!!!..I put a link to the sunglasses store!!

mindi said...

love the book. i even love crying it out. but most of all, i love SLEEP!

Emma and Dan said...

I love that book! I always recommend it to new moms. That book was my Baby Bible for Elena's first 6 months and I still turn to it whenever I have a question about sleep. Dr. W is a genius.
I'm so glad that you and Charlie had a good experience so early on. It took a lot more "training" than that for my little stinker. Keep us posted.