
How to launder cloth diapers. It is the eternal question. You can read hundreds of forums, blogs, etc... about different people's opinions. You can add vinegar, do an extra rinse, add baking soda, use this detergent or that detergent, etc... It's complicated. And then it's a whole new system if you have a HE washer like we do. (Highly recommended, by the way). I've tried various methods and found this detergent on etsy that I liked. It has little suds (good for HE washer) and is organic and vegan so it doesn't leave residue on the cloth diapers. So I was satisfied with the system I had.
[Enter Soapnuts.] They are so fabulous. They're basically a fruit from a tree found in Indonesia, Nepal, and India and the outside of the nut is saponin which is a natural surfactant (the technical term for what soap does by breaking down carbon bonds of organic material). They don't have a scent so they are ideal for anyone with eczema, sensitive skin, etc... and are very ideal for cloth diapers which you don't want to have a weird scent anyway. I love them. If you use them for regular laundry you can put some essential oil on the cloth bag that they go in and it works great. I've used eucalyptus and tea tree oil and it's very mild. So I've converted from the etsy soap to these soap nuts. For our laundry, I'll probably still use the etsy detergent, but for cloth diapers they're the best I've found.
3 comments:
What in the world? How on earth did you find out about those cool things? You are so cool, we all need to try harder to be as "green" as you are.
i know! so random huh? i read about them on those auctions for the nielsons (that mormon couple that was burned in a plane crash) and you can try them for free if you donate to that fund. so i did and tried them for free and am a fan.
hey! i was so excited when doge showed me your blog :) i can't believe how big chuck is getting, he is adorable! oh yeah...i had NO idea soap nuts even existed!? crazy! say hi to the fam for us! ~miss you guys!
Post a Comment