Friday, September 5, 2008

Help Me, Rhonda!

Somehow I got subscribed to a magazine called American Baby. I think it might have been a free subscription to all new moms. It's fun to read and every once in awhile I find a good tip. Today, on the other hand, I'm getting a good laugh combined with a deep feeling of worry for the babies whose mothers read this. Here's the article, read it and weep (or laugh):

"Don't forget baby!
PROBLEM: Each year about 36 children die because they're left in cars that overheat. [yes, this is a valid problem]
SOLUTION: [here's what is killing me dead] A child is never safe left inside a parked car, even if windows are cracked--the temperature can skyrocket in as little as ten minutes. Follow this advice from Jan Null, meteorology professor at San Francisco State University so you can always remember to take your child with you. [What?!? Also, how did a meteorology professor become a child-safety expert?]
- Place your bag in the backseat with your baby. When you grab it, you'll also unbuckle your child.
-Keep a large stuffed animal in the car seat. When your baby is sitting there, move it to the front seat as a reminder that your child is in the back."

Yes, this is a real article. I am still in shock. Firstly, whose baby is so silent the whole drive somewhere that you forget they're back there? Secondly, what parent in their right mind can forget their baby? It is mind-boggling. I always thought people left their babies in cars fully-knowing that they were in there. Any thoughts?


How could someone forget this little face in the back seat?

7 comments:

Jody said...

Sadly, this has happened at least 2 or 3 times this summer here in Utah. From what I remember reading in the news, most often, the mother's schedule has been disrupted and she has the baby with her when she normally wouldn't. You know how it is when your mind is on autopilot. Baby's asleep in the back seat, mother continues on autopilot. Baby gets left in the back seat because mother's normal schedule is telling her baby's at daycare or napping.

I think you would have to be one stressed out mom to forget something so huge so easily.

Additionally, most of the stories I've read about in the news talk about how devastated and horrified and distraught the mothers are upon realizing what happened. I think that would haunt you for the rest of your life.

I honestly think that most of the time it isn't done intentionally. My two cents.

That is pretty silly that a meteorologist is giving parenting advice...

Lis said...

Wow. Forgetting your baby. It might be real, though.

No way Boozie would let you forget :) The stuffed animal thing could be terrifying.

Sarah said...

Yay for ldslinkup and other people's blogs! I'm pretty sure that I taught you a prenatal yoga class once...small world! I'm glad you guys like Little Rock and Brodie Creek! I'm adding you to my blog list!

anjer said...

man, charlie makes the best faces.

Kellie said...

That happens all the time here! Even stores have signs that remind people they can't leave their kids or pets in the car to go inside while it's 115.
It's sad but there is a news story once a week about someone who does it.

Unknown said...

I have no fears that devoted,attentive parents like you and Trav would ever misplace cutest Charlie.

Becca said...

Crazy. I was definitely shocked reading the story and even more shocked by all these comments of folks who know or have heard of a lot of people who have done this. Hopefully I won't be that absentminded of a parent!! At least I can take comfort in the fact that it never gets hot here, so we are probaby safe.