Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easter Eggs

This year I wanted to try dying eggs with natural dyes. I had read about it in various natural parenting emails and magazines but hadn't ever done it. Let's be honest, most years we haven't even dyed eggs. We always have the intention and it just never happens. This year I was determined. Even though no one joined me in dying eggs, I still had fun.

For supplies I decided on purple cabbage, yellow onion skins, and black tea. I simmered the purple cabbage and the yellow onion skins in water for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile the tea steeped until it was nice and black. I was determined to have perfectly-boiled eggs so I followed Cook's Illustrated's instructions to a T and of course, they turned out perfectly. They don't mess around at ATK.



Some of the eggs I wrapped rubber bands around and soaked for hours, getting a sort-of tie-dyed effect. Some I just soaked. Some got double dunked. All in all I had a blast and thought they turned out pretty. Next year I'll definitely try more random fruits and vegetables for dye.

5 comments:

Lima Bean said...

what an awesome idea. love it. did you see that soulemama dyed her brown eggs? we usually only have brown eggs so i went and bought white ones just for dyeing but maybe next year i won't.

haley said...

You are so hilarious...love the knitting and au natural eggs!

Becky said...

oh my goodness--boozle is so cute and grown-up in that firetruck post...i LOVE the eggs!

Brooke Eriksen said...

Hey! Go get the dress! Totally enough coverage. You would just have to wear a tank for under the arm. Twins. Yeah!

{irene} said...

wow! so cute!look at you....