Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Entertainment Book Curse


One evening when T and I were first married we went up to Ogden, Utah to see my cousin perform in a ballet recital. Afterward we decided to use our Entertainment Book because there were tons of coupons for restaurants in Ogden. It was about 9:00 so we figured some of them might be closed. We chose one and decided to call first to make sure they were still open. No answer. We were close to the next restaurant so we just drove to that one. Out of business. Called the next one. No answer. On and on until we eventually settled on a Denny's-like substitute. How pitiful.

Fast forward about 5 years to today. We want to use our Little Rock Entertainment Book so we pick out a sandwich shop close to our house and go online to look at their menu. After finally choosing our sandwiches, T drives over there only to find out it went out of business! We're jinxed. What is it with Entertainment Book restaurants and going out of business? The only thing I can think of is that they must be on their last leg and that is their last try at marketing. Sad luck for us, though.

4 comments:

Jody said...

Ha! Connor and I have had the exact same problem with restaurants.com gift certificates. The restaurants inevitably have gone out of business or are no longer accepting the gift certificates. It's highly frustrating.

Lima Bean said...

This is the main reason I have stopped buying an entertainment book. That has happened to us so many times, and the embarrassing thing is that several times we have had friends who are following us around to restaurants that no longer exist.

Virginia G said...

I decided that between places being out of business or my forgetting the book in the few instances where I COULD use a coupon, it wasn't worth my $30 anymore!

Glad to see the little man is doing well...here's a recipe (and blog) you might enjoy: http://ecochildsplay.com/2009/04/13/healthy-mini-cupcakes/#more-3578

Freddy pointed at the honey bear this morning and said "cute"! Where on earth did he get that?

The Griner said...

Same thing happend to us last weekend going to Cold Stone. I don't think we're going to buy the book next year. We did find one place that was still open. We used our coupon for our free meal and then they tell us that they tack on 18% grat. So our $10 coupon turned into a $4 one. Very disappointing for this penny pincher.