Monday, December 15, 2008

love/hate 26.2


I ran my 2nd marathon last Saturday in Memphis and it was a great time. There were bands/DJs at every mile marker and even Elvis impersonators! And when you're running 26.2, any entertainment is good. T and Boozie drove around and met up with me at certain mile markers to cheer me on. From about mile 6 to 19 I didn't see them and it was because they had to make an emergency run to IHOP. Boozie woke up from his nap and hunger was calling. He was a big fan of the pancakes.


At around mile 17 or so, there was a table set up with candy and beer. I almost gagged just thinking of just the smell of beer after running, but it was a big hit so apparently it's the added boost that some need; I guess the PowerAde just wasn't hitting the spot. It's an interesting distance because it's so mental. Your mind keeps saying, "Let's be done now" but the body keeps pressing on. Around mile 20 or so you say to yourself, "This is my last marathon ever; this is insane." But somehow at the finish line you say to yourself, "When can I start training for the next?" For anyone who hasn't ever run a race before, I highly recommend it. It's addicting. Just ask Doge.

12 comments:

anjer said...

you're incredible, em. 13.1 feels like a marathon in my mind. i honestly cannot fathom the idea of hitting 13.1 and thinking "hey, i'm half-way! lets do that all over again!" in the same race.

and ya know, its people like me that appreciate people like you - because i have no desire to run a full ever. E-V-A-H!

The Smith Family said...

You are one amazing woman Em (not that I didn't already know that!):). I'm totally impressed. The whole idea of a marathon has always intrigued me, but I don't know if I'm capable since I have NO endurance whatsoever!:) I think it would take me many years to train/get in shape! But maybe I'll start with learning to run...or maybe jog? Wow. Congrats Em, that's so amazing. You're inspiring!

Donnie Barnes said...

You rock. Enough said!

Amy said...

Awesome! Way to go!! I didn't even know you were running it! My sister in law says they are addicting. She get the itch to run marathons. So far I don't have an itch.

allie said...

ha ha i will attest...
as a former running-hater, it has now become my serious addiction. :) way to go em! st. george, here we come! :)

Jody said...

Who doesn't like IHOP pancakes? That's Boozie's one smart kid.

Mrs. J said...

Wow Em, that is impressive. Coming from a family of marathoners (excluding myself of course), I know what an amazing challenge and excitement it all is. Congrats on finishing. You rock!

Kellie said...

We had no idea you were even training and then poof! You were running a marathong! Congrats, that's truly amazing!

Virginia G said...

Congrats - you're incredible! Are you guys coming back to SLC this Christmas?

Em said...

Thanks everyone! I wasn't even going to post abt it but peeps kept asking so I broke down. :)

Virginia- We'll be in town from 23 Dec til 2 Jan. What are your plans?

Yasmine said...

You are amazing! I could never do that!

anjer said...

i just noticed that you can see trav in the car's window reflection. weird.

actually, that's not weird. nor really comment-worthy... oh well.