I am a big list person. I make checklists and check things off and feel productive as I do it. When I was younger I even used to make timed lists, i.e., 8-8:05 make bed; 8:05-8:30 eat breakfast, etc... The mission schedule was heavenly to me. The structure and the productivity is what I crave. Before CB was born I had my routine down: wake up at 5:30, shower, go to work, go the gym, etc... So the shock I experienced when he was born is indescribable. I didn't know what to do with myself. When he would fall asleep I'd try to run through lists in my head of things I could do to be productive. Work on his baby book, vacuum, mop, etc... So Elder Ballard's talk was exactly what I needed to hear. I don't want to be like Anna Quindlen who has regrets about when her kids were small. I want to remember what we ate at the picnic in the photo. So that's my goal: to enjoy the time he's young and dependent on me for everything and to take time to savor and remember all the details.
8 comments:
i totally still make those lists. my planner is full of things like 5-7:30 - work on paper. but i rarely actually adhere to them so strictly. i just feel less stressed when i know what is in store for the day.
i probably shouldn't ever have babies...i don't know if i could handle it haha.
ya. at byu i would always put "8-10 study for micro 451, 10-11 study for micro 452." really i should have put 8-9 study for micro 451, 9-9:15 take a nap, 9:15-10 study, 10-10:15 fall asleep at books...
Such a little lamb. I think things will start to feel more productive once his schedule isn't dominating your life so much. I hear it takes like 3-6 months but then you can get back into the swing. Sure wish you still lived in Winston. Then you could come hang at the Ranch every day :(
PS - where did CB get that pointy chin?
It gets better. For ME, six months is when I can finally get on a regular routine. Then it's naps and meals and playtime and errands on a schedule. In fact, toddlers really thrive on routine. So don't worry, you won't always feel like everyday is irregular. (Hopefully you'll be able to schedule in a nap too!)
REALLY cherish it, it flies! Today my little girl turns 5 and I feel like I was just holding her as a baby yesterday! It's true the more time that goes by the more you get a handle on it, and the older they get you find yourself wishing for more hours in the day. I remember having all of the same feelings, you're in good company! And remember, as with anything else practice makes perfect...
I loved Elder Ballards talk too!! You will adjust and it will get better...I'm a total list person too, so hopefully I'll get back to my schedule in the future too. I have really been enjoying having Kolby as my baby. I think it's so fun to cuddle him and I know how fast they grow up. You are going a great job!!
What a darling boy! Are you loving it there? DO they have good jeans?
Post a Comment