
In case you didn't know, I only speak Swedish to Boozie. I decided when I lived in Sweden and saw all these multilingual kids, that it's very beneficial for a baby to be exposed to 2 languages. That way, they just pick up both, no problem. When I was pregnant I asked T if he wanted to speak only Spanish to the little one. He said no. Okay. So I decided I'd speak Swedish (a very useful language if you're in Stockholm. And let's be honest, Swedes are completely fluent in English. They'd rather see their movies without voice overs and subtitles). So Boozie hears Swedish all day long.
So about 2 weeks ago he pulls off his sock and says, "Umpa" (ooompa). Strumpa is sock in Swedish. I was completely surprised and thought it might have just been a coincidence so in the midst of playing, I pulled of his sock and he said, "umpa". So while the English-speaking babies are saying ball, this Swedish-speaking baby is saying "umpa". How fab.
15 comments:
Vad kul! Du inspirerar mig. Det ar nagot jag vill ocksa gora. Fast min svenska ar inte lika bra som det var forrut, forstas. Jag skulle ville hora hur du har gjort det. Har du nagot system som du foljer?
det enda systemet som jag har hittat som inte gor bebisen forvirrad ar att den ene foralder pratar bara ett sprak och den andra pratar bara den andra. alltid. det spelar ingen roll var man ar, osv. darfor pratar jag alltid svenska med cb och t pratar alltid engelska. pa detta satt ska cb kunna skilja mellan sprak och att det finns 2 olika sprak istallet for att mixa de tva.
Blir det inte frustrerande eller trakigt? Maste du ha ordboken med dig hela tiden? Jag borde borja tala till magen pa svenska nu for att bli van med det....
ibland har jag ordboken med mig for att kolla upp nagra djur, kroppsdelar, osv. saker som jag inte larde mig som missionar. men jag tycker aldrig att det ar trakigt. det ar ju jatte skoj. oh. och han alskar ordet "jatte". :)
So I can't read your comments, but I can say...How cool is that!!
yeah - you care to translate for the rest of us?!
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! oh, and no oma to call and brag to!??! i'll just have to be twice as excited in her absence!
Wow, imponerande!! Det hade jag ingen aning om! Vad tycker din man om det? Tycker inte han att det är jobbigt när han inte vet vad du säger till er son?? :)
Men jag är verkligen imponerad! Du är ju så duktig på svenska!
Förresten, hela vår familj ska till USA i sommar, kanske är vi i samma stat nån vecka. Vi hörs! KRAM
That is SO neat! I asked Adam the same about Spanish and he poo-pooed it. I wish I were fluent in another language--I hear it's very beneficial for learning skills, that's why my elementary school taught French starting at 1st grade...so I took it from 1st through 10th grade! Which means I should be fluent. I understand a lot, but can't speak like I'd like. I guess it's like anything, if you don't use it you lose it?
I had no idea that you spoke only Swedish to Charlie. If only I were more diligent, I would speak only Chinese to Adelyn. She would probably be grateful when she was older. Is it hard? Do you like it?
i love speaking swedish to him. it's fun to practice and it really isn't hard at all. i'm sure it'll get harder as he gets older and we're communicating more than just me talking to him, but it's fun. you don't really have to start speaking the language until they're 6 months-1 year because before that they don't really know the difference so there's still time for you if you want to do it, beaka.
I have witnessed this and it is even cuter than it sounds on paper, er, screen.
And let's be honest, he's a pretty hardcore lover of the word (and the entity) "Mama," too :)
Stop bragging! I just got Reese to say Dumbo and I couldn't be a happier mom! Your baby boy is so cute... and of course he speaks Swedish!
don't feel bad. he didn't crawl until like a month ago so he's definitely behind most babies in that category. :)
I am SO impressed! I begged Nik to only speak Spanish to our babies. He didn't think that was a good idea but I realize now it wouldn't make a difference, the boy is never home. You are brilliant and I am so glad your son is too:)
Hey! I just saw that you know Matt and Kaye! What a small world!
Post a Comment