
Did you know that many things can be substituted for eggs? Here was the scenario:
Sunday morning, wanting to make cookies for T to take to church for his Sunday School class, have every ingredient except 2 eggs. Blast. T suggested we go borrow 2 from our neighbor. Seemed like a hass. So then I thought, what about vegans? They don't eat eggs and I'm sure they still eat cookies. So I started looking on the trusty world wide web to see what kind of things work to substitute. Different websites said different things, of course, but in general, in cookies the eggs serve as a moistening agent. Nothing more. So some said you can just add water or milk, but that seemed gross. Many places said to substitute a banana. Some said substitute 1 T cornstarch and 1 T water. So I tried a little of this and some of that; I used half a banana and 1 T cornstarch with some water. They tasted even better than before, I thought. The banana gave them a little depth of flavor and a little added sweetness. So what could possibly beat JG's delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe? A lack of eggs which lead to great experimentation. What fun
4 comments:
you're so cool emilee:)
Only you would think of to do something like that. I would have thought "no eggs, no cookies." Thanks for the enlightenment (and doing the research i don't have time for).
I'd have to wonder how this affects the overall health/calorie content. I'm sure it improves it. Hmmm... Not that I believe in "healthy" cookies, but why not find a way to be able to eat "one more cookie" a little more guilt-free?
What a great idea! I'll have to try this next time I make cookies. :)
Post a Comment